Saturday, September 26, 2015

Batch Cook and Freeze Potatoes

The other night, I was talking to my son and he was concerned that the frozen potatoes he bought at Trader Joe's had oil in them. I suggested he cook and freeze his own potatoes. So, here is a quick tutorial of how to do it! I always use organic potatoes. If yours are not organic, make sure to peel them first.
IMPORTANT NOTE: After freezing the potatoes, they still need to be cooked/baked/roasted. You blanch them before freezing to kill any bacteria, but they are NOT cooked yet!
I use the potatoes to cook in a skillet and add to my tofu scramble or season with herbs and roast (with a bit of veggie broth) as a side dish with dinner.

Rinse potatoes well
Chop into 1-inch chunks
Boil for 5 minutes
Strain, pour into ice-water bath, strain again.

Place into freeze bags and freeze!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful but can you give some examples of what we would then use them for? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DeAnne...What a GREAT point! I will update this post to explain better. I use the potatoes to cook in a skillet and add to my tofu scramble or season with herbs and roast (with a bit of veggie broth) as a side dish with dinner. Hope that helps!

      Delete