Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Batch Cooking Comes Alive!

This past weekend, I batch cooked a few items that saved my dinner tonight!

I had previously cooked up the rest of my purple sweet potatoes from Hawaii in the pressure cooker and stored them in packages in the freezer, plus I made a batch of blended black beans (also in the pressure cooker), which I had stored in a container in the refrigerator. Thinking quickly, I chopped up three zucchini, tossed them with a mixture of cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder and roasted them on non-stick foil in the toaster oven for about 15 minutes on 400 degrees. NO OIL! While those were cooking, I pulled whole wheat tortillas out of the freezer and quickly steamed enough for dinner, placing them in my handy-dandy tortilla keeper until needed. Then, I warmed the purple sweet potatoes and blended black beans in small bowls -- enough for each of us to make two burritos each. Finally, I chopped grape tomatoes in half and chopped up some fresh cilantro (I had purchased to make more salsa but never did). VOILA! These gorgeous burritos came together in 20 minutes because I had batch cooked in advance! A complete dinner, loaded with nutrients and fiber!

No comments:

Post a Comment