Monday, August 31, 2015

Homemade Veggie Broth

Since I am a plant-based eater, I chop A LOT of veggies! I try to buy organic veggies whenever possible, so I put all of my organic scraps in a gallon-sized freezer bag and just leave it in the freezer until it's full. I try to vary what goes in it--scraps of onions, carrots, leeks, garlic (the tops you cut off when you roast a head of garlic!), zucchini, and mushrooms. When the bag is filled to the top, I throw it in a stock pot with water (slightly above the veggies), add 2 bay leaves and some black pepper. I add a bit of salt at the end so it doesn't dissipate and become too high in sodium. 

If you're making it in the pressure cooker, cook on pressure for 4 minutes and leave on warm for 1 to 2 hours.  If you're making it in the stove,  bring it to a boil, and as soon as it starts to boil, lower to a simmer and let it cook for 2-3 hours. After it turns a fabulous golden brown,  I add salt to taste. Then, I pour it into containers or ice cube trays and freeze it for future use, or I use it right away. It is THE BEST veggie broth I have ever tasted. And, it didn't cost me a thing! Try it sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment