Sunday, May 3, 2015

Corn and Potato Chowder

NOTE: Double this recipe to fill a crockpot to take to a potluck or gathering.

1 medium yellow onion, chopped into ¼ inch pieces
1 large red bell pepper, diced into bite-sized pieces
1 cup carrots, peeled and diced into bite-sized pieces
¼ t. of dried thyme
a few grinds of black pepper
1 t. salt (or to taste)
3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
3 cups frozen corn kernels
2 medium organic russet, red, or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch chunks
1 bay leaf
pinch cayenne pepper

In a stockpot, steamfry (Do not use oil! Add a bit of water or veggie broth if the pan gets dry) onions for 5 minutes. Add carrots and bell peppers to the onions and cook for about 7 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add thyme, black pepper, salt, and cayenne. Steamfry for one more minute. Add veggie broth, corn, potatoes, and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil. Then, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Blend half of the soup in a high-speed blender until very smooth. This will be the base of the soup. Add the blended soup to remaining soup in the pot. Stir well. Serve!

Pressure Cooker Instructions:
In your electric pressure cooker, steamfry onions with a bit of veggie broth or water for about 5 minutes on the BROWN or SAUTÉ setting.
Add all of the rest of the ingredients and set the pressure manually to 4 minutes with QUICK RELEASE.

Blend half of the soup in a high-speed blender until very smooth. This will be the base of the soup. Add the blended soup to remaining soup in the pot. Stir well. Serve!

17 comments:

  1. anna_brooks2002@yahoo.comAugust 9, 2015 at 12:51 PM

    Where do u get an electric pressure cooker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Amazon.com! :-) I own a Secura brand, but most people like the Instant Pot.

      Delete
    2. I have a cuisinart...I wish I had purchased the instant pot..I believe this is the only one that has the stainless pot instead of nonstick

      Delete
    3. Anna...My Secura (purchased on Amazon) did come with a stainless steel pot.

      Delete
    4. You can buy a stainless steel pot liner that fits the Cuisinart. I have a Cuisinart and I love it. :)

      Delete
  2. This chowder was my first pressure cooker recipe ever. It turned out great and my non-plant-based husband asked to add it to the dinner rotation. Awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is amazing!! I am following The Starch Solution and dropping weight like crazy.. This is a perfect no fat /high starch recipe. I am def making a pot of this a week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely let me know what you thought of the soup! It's my family's favorite!

      Delete
    2. I could eat this 5 days a week for the rest of my life

      Delete
    3. I feel the same way!!!

      Delete
  4. Wow.. It looks delicious and is easy to make. I have tried it and I just love it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually have all the ingredients for this recipe right now! I'm going to make this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made this soup today.....so good! We don’t like hot peppers, so for a little more flavor I added garlic powder and a Trader Joe’s seasoning that I love. Def a keeper 😊👍🏻

    ReplyDelete